Monday, November 15, 2010

Scalable inference on regularized Dirichlets

Hi all,

I'm giving a brief (30") talk about my recent work this Wednesday at noon in room 903 SSW. The abstract is below. I'll presumably be giving a fuller talk on the same eventually in our group meeting, but in case you're looking for lunchtime entertainment...

Cheers,
Carl

P.S. This is a one-hour situation with two half-hour presenters. So if you come, you could wind up watching someone else first, or only!

Title: Tractable inference on regularized Dirichlet distributions: a scalable class of HMM

Abstract: There is substantial interest in tractable inference on distributions of distributions, confined obviously to a simplex. Regularization of the Dirichlet distribution of random variables, without compromising tractability of inference, would be useful for encoding prior knowledge of interactions among the components, for instance in topic models. I will present a class of regularized Dirichlet distributions that are in fact especially scalable hidden Markov models. The same framework allows for tractable exact inference on certain loopy graphs of the same type.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.